Special Events Manager
TITLE: Special Events Manager
POSITION: Full Time Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Associate Director of Development
Responsible for planning and implementing the organization’s events to meet operating budget goals within approved time frame. Solicits funds from individuals, corporations, and foundations for special events and/or special fundraising projects.
Special Events (Planning, Logistics & Implementation)
- Oversee creation and implementation of event plans for the following events:
- Dining Out For Life (DOFL) – annual event that partners with local restaurants
- Nashville AIDS Walk & 5K Run – annual peer-to-peer fundraising event
- Fundraising gala with silent auction
- Red Ribbon Breakfast – annual fundraising breakfast
- Other events, as needed
- Complete and review comprehensive project plans with Associate Director of Development and Development staff 12-18 in advance of events. This plan should include a timeline of deliverables and tasks, staff members and volunteers involved, and how tasks will be executed to meet established fundraising goals.
- Identify, facilitate, and manage relationships with venues and vendors.
- Facilitate and manage relationships with event Co-Chairs, the Volunteer Committee(s) and sub-committee(s).
- Works with Director of Marketing & Communications to establish print and digital collateral needs and deadlines, and allocates budget for production.
- Works with Volunteer Manager to schedule, coordinate, and provide support for volunteer solicitations for special events.
- Works with Associate Director of Development to ensure appropriate stewardship of guests, sponsors, and volunteers post-event is completed.
- Develop statistical evaluations and solicit recommendations for continued growth and improvement of events.
- Oversee third party events.
- Work with Associate Director of Development to develop budgets for all special events annually.
- Execute events on-time, and under budget.
Sponsorships & Fundraising
- Work with Associate Director of Development to maintain prospect list for each event and monitor solicitation progress by volunteers (Fundraising gala, AIDS Walk and DOFL), as well as members of the development team.
- With the Associate Director of Development, coordinate special events with annual campaign, capital, and endowment solicitations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with assigned group of special event donors, sponsors, and vendors on behalf of the agency.
- Solicit and maximize in-kind donations for vendor services to minimize event production expense to CARES.
- Work with Associate Director of Development to complete comprehensive solicitations with assigned prospects for special event sponsorships.
- Monitor fund raising progress with written reports of special event results and activities.
- Manage stewardship activities related to assigned donors.
- Work with Associate Director of Development to pursue new opportunities to engage current and potential donors in existing or new events, or other special fundraising initiatives.
- Work with Associate Director of Development to write sponsorship proposals for special projects as assigned.
Marketing, Public Relations & Communications
- Oversee creation of special events materials in conjunction with the Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Working with the Director of Marketing & Communications, create event specific marketing & PR plans.
- Advise Associate Director of Development on matters relating to development, donor relations and fundraising, as needed.
- Supervise fundraising staff and volunteer fundraisers as assigned (i.e., AIDS Walk).
- Observe all agency policies and protocols.
- Attend agency and committee meetings as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or agency.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Master’s degree in public administration, business, political science, or marketing a plus;
- Knowledge of the basic components of a comprehensive special events fundraising program strongly preferred;
- 3 years successful experience in non-profit event planning and execution, and experience working with volunteers in fundraising or nonprofit management. Familiarity with Nashville event landscape, venues, vendors, and attendance patterns;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Well-organized with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects through to completion;
- Ability to see and work within the big picture in both leadership and supporting roles;
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of people;
- Computer skills a necessity including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, database management software, and project tracking software;
- Current driver’s license, clean DMV record and vehicle insurance required;
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS and/or commitment to HIV/AIDS issues and Nashville CARES’ mission;
- Event management at Nashville CARES is not a 9 to 5 job and flexibility with work schedule is required with availability to work some nights and weekends.
Nashville CARES is an equal provider of services and an equal opportunity employer--Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Posted qualifications serve as a guide for candidate review and are not fixed in stone. Nashville CARES reserves the right to deviate from posted credentials in determining what combination of candidate education, experience and skills are best suited to a position.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter describing experience and accomplishments. The cover letter should contain detailed information on successes in current field and their relevance to desired experience and expertise of the Special Events Manager position. Please email us or send documents to:
Nashville CARES / HR-Diane Bracey
633 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37204